Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Medical Update (Justin)

We just heard back from the doctor and Joni's re-takes came back "bad." Her bilirubin is still "high" and they also found some bacteria in her other sample that concerns them.

The obstetrician wants to refer us to other doctors here in Chisinau. I will speak to her tomorrow to get the details. Hopefully, these doctors will be on the Embassy's list of English-speakers.

As a concerned husband and expectant father, I have a myriad of concerns:
1. We have no medical/pregnancy books here. Anyone with any medical/pregnancy expertise is invited to help us find information about the above problems. Are these serious concerns? Is this something normal that they're just calling "abnormal?"

2. My Russian isn't good enough to translate medical stuff word-for-word, which is needed. It's good enough to get us through the clinic and to understand what we're doing, but there's a whole other vocabulary there that I'm just now beginning to learn.
If these doctors don't speak English, then we'll have to find someone we can trust to use as a translator.

3. If these doctors are wanting some weird Soviet-style tests, then we'll have to make the decision about whether to continue with the medical stuff here. Medicine is the same as other professions in Moldova, which I've written about: People who are good at it tend to go to Europe or Russia to practice.

So, please pray for the health and safety of Joni and child, as well as wisdom for us and the doctors. Pray also for good translators as need be.

1 comment:

gtown1 said...

Congratulations Joni! We are excited for you that you are pregnant...what a thrill huh? I am due in less than 3 weeks but I think we are going to induce next Thursday if he does not come before then. I'm sooooooo ready to see this little man!

That is very exciting. I can't remember if I've commented on your blog before or not. Barbara Venable gave me your address...hope you don't mine.

We'll be praying for you. Blessings, EJ & FBW